2009 has been a very busy year for MooTools and I’ve spent much of my time working on things other than Clientcide (like MooTools and Cloudera Desktop). MooTools More continues to grow – the latest releases (220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168) are full of all sorts of new features (over 50 plugins if you exclude all the date localization files), but you’ll probably recognize some old friends. Mask looks a lot like Modalizer, Spinner like Waiter, Form.Request like Fupdate, etc. That’s because in an effort to make MooTools more feature rich I and the other MooTools developers have been moving our work into the official project.
As such, Clientcide 2.2.0 is really a bug fix and compatibility release. There are very few new features but that’s because, in a way, all the new features are in MooTools More.
Here’s what’s new in 2.2.0:
- Modalizer is deprecated in favor of Mask
- compat file is just the deprecated library; does not convert to Mask instances but rather just returns Modalizer as it always did
- StickyWin.Modal has new options for Mask; this is a breaking change
- Removed Element.Delegation (now in MooTools More; unchanged)
- Deprecated DollarE
- Deprecated DollarG
- Fupdate is now Form.Request in MooTools More; see compat files
- Fupdate.Prompt is now Form.Request.Prompt
- Fupdate.Append.Prompt is now Form.Request.Append.Prompt
- Fupdate.AjaxPrompt is now Form.Request.AjaxPrompt
- Fupdate.Append.AjaxPrompt are now Form.Request.Append.AjaxPrompt
- FormValidator got renamed in MooTools More to Form.Validator (the old name is preserved); updated FormValidator.Tips to Form.Validator.Tips (again, the old name still works).
- Collapsable is now Collapsible (that’s correct, I cannot spell). The old name is preserved (though the file name itself changed; update your build scripts).
- HtmlTable moved to MooTools More. No breaking changes, but the -more version has new features.
- Added Italian, Spanish translations for Simple Editor
- New StickyWin features
- Z-index Ordering!
- changing default value for allowMultipleByClass in StickyWin to true
- Added setCaption method to StickyWin.UI
- onUpdate event for StickyWin.Ajax
- added detach method to MooScroller
- dbug should now work in IE8
- offset options are now additive for pointy tip
- numerous bug fixes
For the most part compatibility is preserved. There’s that one breaking change in StickyWin.Modal where the options for the modal layer are different. I can only test this so much, so if you find areas where the compat files don’t provide coverages, please file a ticket.
I’ve also updated the download builder on Clientcide to use the now open source builder called MooTools Depender. Check out the blog post on MooTools.net if you want to know more about it. One cool thing about that you might find useful it is the ability to re-download a script you created with a given url. Now, when you download a script, the header includes a url to re-download the library with the same selections. This should make upgrading libraries a little easier.